This project came out of concerns we have as parents about our Son’s Epilepsy, which left me wanting to develop a seizure detector/alarm to tell us if he is having a seizure – see Purpose of Project for a more personal background.
When I talk to people about this project I am often surprised by their assumption that I would want to patent the technology developed and make it a commercial venture. This is not my intention – I have written it for my personal use, but have published all of the information I have gained and source code written under a free licence in the hope that it will be useful to others.
The project goals are therefore:
- Detect Tonic-Clonic seizures.
- Raise an alarm to warn a carer that a seizure is occurring.
- Run on low-cost hardware where possible.
- Require minimal contact with the patient (no contact preferred)
- Does not require the patient to lie on any special equipment.
- The software will be Open Source, so other people can make use of it and benefit from it if it suitable for them.